“Eskwelahan, Simbahan, Barangay, Palengke at Buong Komunidad, Sama-Sama Nating Sugpuin ang Dengue” , DOH May 2011 theme of Dengue Awareness Month
Dengue fever infection has afflicted thousands of young and old Filipinos every year. Inspite of community and health authorities efforts to combat it, it has become a menace to a lot families in urban and rural areas.
There are several strategies of combating Dengue fever ,the DOH 4S Kontra Dengue strategy is composed of Search and Destroy, Seek early consultation, Self-protective measures and Say no to indiscriminate fogging.
Another innovative strategy is Mosquito Ovicidal/ Larvicidal Trap system, developed by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST).
The DOST-developed Mosquito OL Trap has three important parts: a black container, a small strip of wood (lawanit) for mosquitoes to lay their eggs on, and a larvicide solution. The scent of the larvicide solution attracts female mosquitoes and encourages them to lay eggs on the immersed lawanit strip. Once exposed to the solution, the eggs and hatched larvae will die. The DOST Mosquito OL Trap prevents the next generation of mosquitoes from reaching adulthood and curbs the Aedes Aegypti mosquito population.
Thus, DOST in partnership with DOH and DepEd will distribute DOST mosquito OL Trap to all classrooms of both public and private schools in areas with high dengue cases in the metro.
According to the DOST website, some 34,910 DOST Mosquito OL Trap kits will be distributed to 17,454 classrooms in public and private elementary and secondary schools in Caloocan, Quezon City, Pasay, Valenzuela, Manila, Muntinlupa, and Pasig.
1. Pour tap water into the black plastic cup until the lined mark just above the printed DOST logo. This volume is equivalent to 250 milliliters (ml).
2. Pour one pack of OL pellets into the plastic cup.
3. Place the lawanit stick in the solution with the rough surface facing up.
4. Put the plastic cup outside the house in a low-lying area protected from the sun and rainfall. Take care not to spill the contents. Keep out of reach of children and animals.
5. Let the cup stand for six (6) days.
6. After six days, gently brush off into the solution the mosquito eggs stuck on the lawanit strip. A used toothbrush will do the trick, but make sure that all the mosquito eggs drop into the solution.
7. Pour hot water into the solution until the cup is almost filled.
8. Dispose all the liquid contents of the cup down the drain.
9. Repeat steps 1 to 9 weekly for six (6) months.
Click here: trap instructions