Procedures and Guidelines for the Accreditation of Health Facilities Utilized for the Related Learning Experiences (RLE) of Students for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Program: CHED Memo July 2012
The Commission on Higher Education (CHED)nissued Procedures and Guidelines for the Accreditation of Health Facilities Utilized for the Related Learning Experiences (RLE) in nursing education .The objective is to establish a rational accreditation system of health facilities for Related Learning Experiences (RLEs) of nursing students to ensure the development of quality nursing education.
The policies and guidelines as embodied in this CHED Memo Order (CMO) applies to all public and private higher education institutions (HEIs) offering the BSN program and all public and private health facilities utilized for RLE.
Highlights of the CHED accreditation requirements as RLE provider are:
- Functional Nursing Training and Research Office that are responsible for training and research activities of nurses
- Health facilities for student nurses such as: Conference Rooms – can accommodate at least 15 persons in one sitting capacity; well-lighted and well-ventilated; Library ; Male and Female Comfort Rooms;Dressing Rooms;Lounge; and Lockers.
- Health facility accredited as a base hospital should have at least an authorized bed capacity (ABC) of 100 with annual average occupancy rate (AOR) of eighty percent (80%).
- A standard formula that ensures adequate proportion of students to patients to determine the acceptance of additional HEI/s applying to use the health facility as its base hospital.
- Standard Base Hospital and Affiliation Fees
The memorandum also listed several sanctions as to the Non-compliance with any of the provisions will cause the Commission to revoke accreditation of the health facility subject to due process. Nursing schools found to be in violation of the provisions of theCMO shall be subject to revocation of program permit or recognition after due process.
This RLE guidelines hopes to develop competencies of nursing students through quality Related Learning Experiences.It is through related learning experience and practice of nursing skills one gets to know the true essence of being a nurse which is CARE.