I am a Caloocan City voter

by Anna Katharina on March 29, 2010

in Botante 2010,government service series,Newsbits

I have been a voter in Caloocan City for the past 25 years.  I am at the voting precinct at 7 am, to avoid the rush and the heat of the sun since voting time is summer time. On May 2010 I will vote with 2 of my kids as first time voters. I must admit we have different choices in the presidentiable race; I let them speak their own mind.

I always vote with what my heart and conscience tell me. I do look at their credentials and track record. For sure promises are made to be broken. When you are already at the position, a lot of things have to be taken into consideration when decision time comes.

Here in the local elections in Caloocan City, the Asistio family has always been candidates for mayor. The incumbent mayor Recom Echiverri has one more term to go, before maybe he bequeaths the position to his son RJ Echiverri who is at present a councilor and president of the Natonal Liga ng mga Barangay.

Baby Asistio, the former congressman of District 2 for 12 years is challenging Mayor Recom Echiverri. He claimed that high taxes in Caloocan City drove businesses away and that nothing spectacular in terms of infrastructure has happened.  We have been paying property taxes in Caloocan and I must admit it has tripled during the time of the incumbent mayor. I live near the Monumento area; nothing has really changed except that there are no more sidewalk vendors in front of MCU hospital. There is the construction of the LRT Loop but that is not the project of the local government. Garbage is collected Monday, Wednesday and Friday in our area Morning Breeze Subdivision and this is the barangay of the incumbent mayor, I don’t know what is the situation in other areas of the city.

I hope the next mayor would really make Caloocan City a clean place specially the Monumento area. Can you not drive the sidewalk vendors away near the LRT station? Really the Grand Central area is in chaos between 6 to 8 pm. So many people are at this area as they alight the LRT trains.

A basic need that I want our next mayor to fulfill is a clean  and orderly Monumento area, which is the showcase of Caloocan City. Please candidates don’t hold your “miting de avance “ in the place. That can cause monstrous traffic!

May 10,2010, Election Day, Morning Breeze Elemetary School. Barangay 84

It took me two hours to cast my vote, its worth the wait. The “PCOS machine count” gave me a good feeling that I have done something for my country today. People were so enthusiastic to vote. It was orderly inside the classroom. I felt the election officers and teachers were at ease. Only 10 voters were allowed inside the classroom. Its so easy to fill up the ballot, the design was easy to read.

The Parish Pastoral Council for Responsible Voting (PPCRV) of the Sacred Heart Parish was a big help in the conduct of the elections. Kudos to their organizers and officials!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 33 comments… read them below or add one }

Fred April 12, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Hello doctora. I am also a voter of Caloocan City, in the second district. Up to now, I have no idea who to vote for!!! Just the same old names going around in circles in musical chairs. So hard to choose, when there isn’t really much to choose from. I do not really know what our mayor and congressman have actually done for our fair city. Would you know any of these candidates for councilors in the second district? Really very frustrating situation locality.

Anna Katharina April 12, 2010 at 11:25 pm

@Fred, yes its really hard to make a choice. I’ll find out the candidates for the second district.Thanks.

Eric April 27, 2010 at 4:50 pm

You want change? simple: VOTE WISELY. People seemed to be persuaded by teams or damn publicity. Katangahan ika nga. Avoid the trapos and vote buyers.
In the congressional race there’s MITCH CAJAYON for 2nd district, BOBBY GUANZON for 1st district. Maybe BABY ASISTIO is the better choice than recom this 2010 and EGAY ERICE for VICE.

Guys like Recom, Oca and son Along are very abussive people. You can google their names and see the cases filed against them for misrepresentation and abuse of power.

Anna Katharina April 27, 2010 at 8:55 pm

@ eric: maybe you can include the councilors for our choices.Thanks.

Fred May 5, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Wow, I still cannot make my choices for these local positions. Recom vs. Baby lang ba for Mayor? For 2nd District, Mitch vs. Nani lang ba for congress? Is there no third choice for these two important posts?

Anna Katharina May 6, 2010 at 8:50 pm

@ Fred: Yes just them, Recom E. rose from the ranks, from a councilor to congressman, but he was defeated several times before. Even Baby A. was defeated as mayor by Malonzo who is running with him as vice mayor. I guess try and try until one succeed, and no permanent enemies in politics.

Eric May 7, 2010 at 7:18 am

I personally recommend these people running for the city council of 1st district “based on their platforms”:

Cenon Mayor
Nora Nubla
Virgilio Luzares

I can’t think of anyone else for now. Ayoko sa dynasty. katulad ng isang running council na may kasong rape or child abuse ata, not sure. Yung anak ni oca na si along the midget.

Maybe let’s think twice kung sino ang mayor kasi magulo pag mga asistio ang humahawak, puro beer house at krimen. Si recom kahit corrupt at least nagka mall and motels. last term na niya.

For the vice mayor, I think Cherry Sarmiento. I think Ms. Cherry would make a good public servant.

*Boy Asistio – no comment.
*Rey Malonzo – Sky’s the limit corruption.

For Congressman 1st District: Bobby Guanzon.
The former gma 7 newscaster is a better congressman than the two below. Being exposed to issues and logistically feasible solutions, hats off to this man.

*Oca malapitan. I still remember the case against his in law na nakapatay gamit ang sasakyang #8 plate. Under the law only the congressman can use it.
2nd, I don’t know kung saan niya dinadala ang pork barrel niya.
3rd, voted for Con as.
lastly, sa loob ng 2 terms, laging member of the majority lang lagi siya sa bill.

*Tito Varela is just a patsy. Congress doesn’t need a referee. The city needs someone who can voice out their concerns in congress like land ownership.

sa tingin ko panahon na para mag isip ang tao ng
mabuti. since January I’ve been studying these people, from accomplishment to cases filed against them. I hope nakatulong Doc.

-Eric of Bagong Silang.

Pat May 7, 2010 at 2:18 pm

CARLING CABOCHAN is a GOOD choice as Representative for the 2nd Distrcit of Caloocan. He is not a TRAPO and has the heart to serve and effect change not for selfish reasons.

Anna Katharina May 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm

@eric: Cherry Sarmiento served as councilor before, she ran as vice mayor before but lost. Oca M. served several times as councilor . I guess all of them are “political replays” if there is such a brand. I am not convinced yet nor have decided on who to vote. But we should really be concerned about local candidates because whoever wins , will be the ones who will deliver and implement basic health, education, and social services.

Anna Katharina May 7, 2010 at 10:51 pm

@ Pat: the elder Cabochan has served as congressman before. Again, “political families” in the making. Will he win against MItch Cayajon who is seeking her second term?

cha May 8, 2010 at 7:04 am

i know it is just a day before the elections, it is just that i haven’t really decided on who to vote for. the leader i am looking for is the person who can develop both districts of caloocan. until now when i tell my acquaintances that i live in caloocan they say “grace park?”.
also, it may just be me, i feel our district is neglected. i am hoping that the ones i’ll be voting for will not be tempted by the tons of money that the city and/or barangay can generate. i pray that they will be putting it to good use, like proper sewerage system, lighting, security of residences and business establishments, education and many more.

Fred May 8, 2010 at 7:47 am

I do not hear Cherry Sarmiento’s name here in the 2nd District at all. Maybe she is concentrating her campaign in the 1st District? Is she the same as Cherry Vallaga?

Just found this website. You can check the list of Caloocan City candidates here: http://qwertyatty.wordpress.com/2010/05/03/local-candidates-caloocan-city/

For councilor in the 2nd District, Merville Orozco is known to my parents. He is very young, earnest, and comes from a good family.

eric May 8, 2010 at 11:02 pm

@ Doc Anna:

Kailangan natin suriin mabuti kung sino dapat ang ilagay according to past at present track records.

For Mayor I am still undecided, nagsisiraan kasi parehas, parang napaka babaw. dapat display of leadership ang ginagawa nila.

For Vice Cherry S. is the ideal among Boy A., Egay E. and Rey M. These guys have been tested already. pero puro kurakot..

For congressman, I am for Mr. Bobby Guanzon. Platform wise. I’ve seen his flier and facebook.

Oca is the incumbent, pero according to people lalo na nung ondoy, “ocang HINDI malapitan daw”. Namili lang daw ng lugar na pag bibigyan ng tulong. Same stories from bagong silang, kahit noon pa daw kapag manghihingi ng medical assistance ung mga tao, magbibigay daw ng parang slip, and then pipila ung tao tapos pagdating sa cashier wala naman daw pondo.

I mean c’mon, this is not public service. Where does his pork barrel go kung hindi sa mga constituents na nangangailangan? we don’t have a darn idea. We have enough waiting sheds and basketball courts already.

This 2010, Be the change. No to political dynasty and give progress a chance.

anonymous May 9, 2010 at 9:59 pm

i wish i’d found blogs like these before.

definitely not RECOM. after the EVER grand central incident … diversion to buy all construction project supplies in caloocan from his brother, and other f*ck ups it’s a no no …

then there are the vices. womanizing, and drinking … sheesh the guy already has cirrhosis from doing this. he even kissed a fag he thought was a woman when he was drunk …

eric May 9, 2010 at 10:27 pm

lol, is it true? the fagg kissing?

Mayor:Recom Echiverri
Vice: Cherry Sarmiento
Congressman: Bobby Guanzon

Councilors, tonight i’ll decide..

anonymous May 10, 2010 at 10:24 am

yeah, he’s also persistent in getting the telephone numbers of beauty pageant contestants even though of them are under age …

my dad has to work for him i hate it …

Anna Katharina May 10, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Hi every one! I have cast my vote at the Morning Breeze Elementary school. Thumbs up to PPPCRV !

Fred May 11, 2010 at 9:22 pm

In our clustered precinct, 423 votes counted. Aquino led at 53%. Roxas tops Binay by only 6 votes, almost dead even. Proud to say that Hontiveros made it into the top 10 here. Baby Asistio topped Recom in our CP, even as Erice gets the VM vote. Orozco topped the councilors list by a mile.

Old school October 16, 2010 at 12:58 am

Anna, sounds like you’re a citizen of Caloocan ever since. How about ROBLES, I’m sure you’ve heard this name before. He’s a great leader, Atty. Virgilio Robles.

Anna Katharina October 16, 2010 at 5:50 pm

@Old school: Yes I am since birth, my grandmother was a resident since 1952. Atty Virgilio Robles, was an OIC mayor during the time of Cory, as I remember.

nonoy garcia December 25, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Hello po. I am also a resident of caloocan near bagong silang. I have unconfirmed reports from a friend who works from SM said that the SM 40 Storey tower residential/commercial units of caloocan near the lrt station have been scraped due to high real property tax on condo units. He said based on revenue code of caloocan on regarding real estate tax is potentially high only next to makati. Please confirm if this is true or not…….

Anna Katharina December 28, 2010 at 3:56 pm

@ ngarcia: I am not sure about real property tax for condos. But my mother tells me that it has indeed increased the rate based on what she pays for real property tax (residential), am not sure how much. Discounts are available when taxes are paid in advance though.

nonoy garcia January 5, 2011 at 8:04 pm

My friend was refering to the real property tax assessment was too high. The caloocan city revenue code of 2004 sec.22.Please read all and SM management is complaining if they build an unsold unit and rent it out it should be classified as commercial? And there is no improvement of road being made in caloocan so why the increase in market value of the property. Anyway i will be leaving for mandaluyong can not find decent work here in caloocan. Hopefully my new job at tektite will be a success. bye my fellow bloggers. hopefully caloocan will change for the best.

noreen January 16, 2011 at 2:20 am

i hope this time marami n mgawa ung mga nasa pwesto hindi puro “NGAWA”.

Sarah Geron April 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I am not a resident of Caloocan but I happen to commute everyday passing at Malaria and Sampaguita which is part of Caloocan then going at San Jose Del Monte Bulacan. I have observed every year that the side walk along Ascoville up to Sampaguita were being fixed, repair and improved. This activity every year have caused much people a burden in traffic, it cost us a delay in our work because yearly they fixed the roads when in fact it doesn’t need to be fixed because it’s already stable! And yet the large picture of this OCA MALAPITAN is being highlight because of this and that project, pwehh! SHAME ON YOU, don’t you know that you are causing head ache to million commuters because of your project KUNO??? Spend your pork barrel in a more worthy projects. Hindi yung kalsadang maayos na dati rati pa ay guguluhin ninyo, sisirain para magamit ninyo ang pork barrel ninyo! Nakakainis na kayong mga pulitiko lagi na lang naaabala, nahihirapan, naglalakad ng malayo ang mga commuters araw araw dahil sa WALANG KUWENTA ninyong mga proyekto!! Siyanga pala din ha, ano kaya kung ang ginagawa mong proyekto ay ang pagiging malinis ng palengke ng Malaria? Bakit kaya hindi yan ang bigyan mo ng pansin kasi daig pa ng amoy ng palengkeng yan ang Payatas!!!!

enitsirk May 30, 2011 at 2:51 pm

where can i find the caloocan city revenue code of 2004 sec.22? please help.

winnie molina September 22, 2011 at 3:55 pm

kelan ba talaga uunlad ang caloocan?? ni walang mgandang malls walang nag iinvest na mtatayog na buildings nagkalat ang basura at iskwater ang didilim ng kalsada..ang kriminal naglipana..maawa nman kyo sa caloocan mga politiko..puro pansarili nyo lng iniisip nyo..wag nman kyong swapang..napag iiwananan na tyo ng ibang lungsod..ang caloocan ay nabubulok..

pilar September 22, 2011 at 4:07 pm

ang mga umupong mayors ng caloocan wala naman talagang nagawa para sa ikauunlad nito.bakit?? dahil tingin ko wala silang planong paunlarin linisin at pagandahin ang caloocan..nakakahiya tayo na lang ang lungsod na napag iwanan na..mabuti pa ang paranaque,las pinas cavite at iba pang karatig lungsod may mga naglalakihang malls and buildings magandang park at mga restorang magagara..tyo wala nakakahiya nman kayo mga politiko ng caloocan..umaksyon nman kyo para sa ikauunlad ng ating lungsod pleaseeeee….

ANONYMOUS September 22, 2011 at 4:40 pm

korek ka dyan winnie and pilar.ang caloocan ang mga politiko puro kalokohan lang ang nalalaman.ibahin na lang kaya natin ang pangalan ng caloocan bakit di natin gawing Bonifacio City baka sakaling pag napalitan gumising na ang mga politiko at umunlad na ang caloocan dhil di na sila manloloko hhehehe..anyways seriously totoo talaga na napag iiwanan na ang caloocan nakakalungkot isipin na tayo ay kulelat na kulelat na sa ibang siyudad.nakakahiya diba?ang mga bigtime investors ayaw mag invest sa caloocan dahil sa palgay ko mahirap kausap ang mga politiko dito.inuuna kasi pansariling interes lang.gising naman mga kinauukulan pagmitingan nyo yan at pag aralan kung paano uunlad ang lungsod ng caloocan.dapat magkaisa kayo at magtulungan alang alang sa ikauunlad ng bayan natin..karangalan at pangalan ninyo ang nakataya sa bawat tagumpay na inyong magagawa para sa ikauunlad ng caloocan.

caloocan July 15, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Basta ako ito na ang list ng iboboto ko at susuporthan ko for 2013 Election

Mayor: Oca malapitan
bakit si oca malapitan ang napili kong alkalde kasi ang pinaka importante sa kanya ay ang Libreng pagamutan at lskwelan, lahat nang ito ay sinisiguro nyang napag lilingkuran nya.

Vice Mayor: Tito Varela
sya ang tipong taong marangal maging pangalawang pinuno ng kalookan tahimik man sya pero totoong tao.

Congressman Distric 1. not yet.

Congressman Distric 2
Baby Asistio
bakit si baby asistio ang dapat kong iboto kasi kahit ilang beses pa syang natalo sa pag ka alkalde kahit ilang years din syang na mahinga wala pa din syang sawang tumulong sa mga taga caloocan kahit wala sya sa pwesto. para saakin baby asistio matulungin talaga yan.

Beth M. August 17, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I just heard this from someone. Is it true that The owner of Ever Gotesco Mr. Joel Go (not sure) and former Congressman Bobby Guanzon will team up in the 2013 elections?

melben dela cruz April 16, 2013 at 10:15 am

i vote rj and recom.

Acheter pour Nike Running July 16, 2015 at 7:04 pm

This is a excellent web page, will you be involved in doing an interview about how you designed it? If so e-mail me!