Essential Newborn Care, Unang Yakap Campaign

by Anna Katharina on March 7, 2010

in Family,Nurse Quad,Period of Life

The Department of Health embarked on Essential Newborn Care , a new program to address neonatal deaths in the country. Under the umbrella of the Unang Yakap Campaign, Essential Newborn Care is an evidenced based strategic intervention aimed at improving newborn care and helping cub neonatal mortality.

The Essential Newborn Care package is a four-step newborn care time-bound intervention undertaken to lessen newborn death.

1. Immediate and thorough drying to stimulate breathing after delivery of the baby
  2. Provision of appropriate thermal care through mother and newborn skin-to skin contact maintaining a delivery room temperature of 25-28 degrees centigrade and wrapping the newborn with clean, dry cloth.
  3. Properly timed clamping and cutting of the umbilical cord, (1-3 minutes or until cord pulsation stops)
  4. Non-separation of the newborn and mother for early breast-feeding. Immediate latching on and initiation of breastfeeding within first hour after birth.

Post-natal care required within 24 hours after birth also includes

• Cord care
  • Breastfeeding
  • Vitamin K injection
  • Eye prophylaxis
  • Delayed bathing until 6 hours of life
  • BCG and first dose of Hepatitis B Immunization
  • Newborn screening

The Essential Newborn Care Package aims to reduce newborn mortality rate from 13 deaths (2006 FPS, NSO) to 10 per 1000 live births by 2015.

Unang Yakap aims to save newborn lives.

Press releases for Essential Newborn Care

Videos

Other press releases

Campaign Materials

New:    Newborn Care Until the First Week of life   (Clinical Practice Pocket Guide)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 25 comments… read them below or add one }

sunshine June 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Hi Dra!

Thank you for the information regarding essential newborn screening.

Dra., can you possible give me an advise on where can i find further information regarding essential newborn care?

I am working as volunteer nurse and am currently in the nursery module.. it would be of great help if I can have more information about this topic.

Thank you once again!

Anna Katharina June 25, 2010 at 7:12 am

Hi sunshine: try visiting the DOH website for further information. Thanks

pearl_ong September 8, 2010 at 1:48 pm

thanks!!!!

kristine October 17, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Good evening,

I would just like to ask what organization are you affiliated with? Thank you.

Anna Katharina October 20, 2010 at 9:26 pm

@Kristine : I used to be connected with a government agency for 16 years, I am now more into teaching nursing students in a private university for the past 6 years. I handle maternal /child health and medical surgical nursing subjects. I have also a master degree in public health. You may want to suggest topics for my future blog. Thanks for the visit.

dia December 28, 2010 at 8:48 pm

can you help me?
i want to know what are the advantages and the disadvantages of Unang Yakap program?
it’s really important thank you!

Anna Katharina December 29, 2010 at 1:05 pm

@dia: I have updated the Unang Yakap Blog, please take time to access the links and find the info you are looking for. I hope this helps. Thanks

dia December 31, 2010 at 9:29 pm

what is the link maam? i cant seem to find it . hehehe.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH DOC!! happy new year! Godbless always

dandy January 9, 2011 at 3:49 pm

hi dra.. how does the age, marital sex and gender affect the perception in implementation of unang yakap?

Anna Katharina January 9, 2011 at 5:51 pm

@DANDY: Unang Yakap or essential newborn care is directed towards health care provider in caring for the newborn.It aims to decrease neonatal mortality rate. If your question for a study you are doing, might as well be specific with your subjects.

tet January 22, 2011 at 8:42 pm

hi dra,

i need pictures of unang yakap. where i can find it?

thank you..

Irish Dianne February 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Hi Dra.!

I was just wondering, based on this new protocol of DOH regarding Newborn Care, which comes first, the drying or suctioning? Thank you!

Anna Katharina February 25, 2011 at 8:54 pm

@irish: drying and promotion of thermal care are the foremost priorities in unang yakap. please read through the link in my blog.Hope this helps.

profmhackyplacido April 5, 2011 at 9:38 pm

hi Dra!
good evening po! I just wanna ask aside from unang yakap program, is there any latest program of the DOH that will help us update our practice..thanks and more power po!

Anna Katharina April 7, 2011 at 12:40 am

@profmhacky: there is the RN heals program. Just browse the DOH and BON website from time to time to be updated with the latest health programs. Thank you .

eren joy domingo April 24, 2011 at 9:42 pm

A pleasant day Dra.

I just want to ask if there is an available standardized questionaire for the Essential Newborn Care, Unang Yakap Campaign of the DOH because I’m doing a research study for my masteral class.. I want to know if all the hospitals here in Bulacan are complying to the DOH program and assess if that program is effective.. It would be of great help for me to conduct my study… Thank you and Godbless…

GUEN SUMADIA RN May 9, 2011 at 10:50 pm

we would to know when will we be able to have our certificate about unang yakap workshop and seminar held at cotabato regional and medical center…

GUEN SUMADIA RN May 9, 2011 at 10:53 pm

pls send our cartificate of attendance here et manuel hospital,lanao kidapawan city

Rusti June 14, 2011 at 10:15 am

Thanks for this wonderful post :>

hope June 21, 2011 at 8:46 am

your post has been very useful.keep them coming.thank you!

ysai aileen March 7, 2012 at 4:34 am

Hi Dra. Anna

GOOD DAY!
I like this site and I wanedt to save the video of unang yakap, but I dont see any download links.
Pls tell me how to down load this video.

thanks & more power,

Aileen

Anna Katharina March 7, 2012 at 3:55 pm

@ ysai: try to search at you tube it might have the links to the video

M March 16, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Good evening Doc,

How far has the program reached so far in terms of implementation? What’s the progress? (Only NCR? Southern Luzon? Visayas?) Is the program being implemented in health facilites aside from hospitals?

SHEK&SHAN July 29, 2012 at 9:47 am

dear Dra.,
good day.
I would like to ask if there is already a Philippine made standardized questionnaire (research tool) for Unang Yakap? I am doing a research study about the level of awareness and practices of the health care providers here in our place.
God bless.

Mhedzemboom January 28, 2013 at 10:30 pm

how’s unang yakap decrease neonatal mortality rate?