BSN PROGRAM POLICIES AND STANDARDS FOR 2009

by Anna Katharina on May 30, 2009

in Nurse Quad,School

The newly published Commission of Higher Education (CHED) CMO No. 14 Series of 2009  (April 28, 2009) is concern with Policies And Standards For Bachelor Of Science In Nursing (BSN) Program, it emphasizes the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) curriculum is a competency-based and community-oriented curriculum in the Philippines.

The nurse must be competent in the following Key Areas of Responsibility for which a nurse should demonstrate competence in Safe and quality nursing care, Management of resources and environment, Health education, Legal responsibility, Ethico-moral responsibility, Personal and professional development, Quality improvement, Research, Record Management, Communication, Collaboration and teamwork.

This CHED CMO No. 14 has again some difference with CMO No. 5 s. 2008 in terms of third and fourth year subjects. With CHED CMO No. 14, students shall choose at least two Electives [Elective 1 and 2] to complete the BS Nursing Program.

Elective 1 is taken in the 3rd Year 2nd Semester. Choices for Elective I are Parent-Child Nursing, Spiritual Care Nursing, and Hospice Palliative Care.

Elective 2 is taken in the 4th Year, 1st Semester. Choices for Elective II are Acute/Critical Care Nursing, Quality Health Care and Nursing, and Care of the Chronically ill and the Older Person. In addition, an Intensive Nursing Practicum subject during the 4th year corresponds to 8 units of clinical work.

CHED CMO No. 14 still mandates a 4-year curriculum for nursing.

Effectivity of CHED CMO No. 14 states that Higher Education Institutions [HEIS] that opted to implement CMO no. 30 s. 2001 shall allow their students to the finish BSN curriculum under CMO no. 30 s. 2001. Those HEIS that opted to implement CMO no. 5 s. 2008 during the SY 2008-2009 shall allow their students to graduate under CMO no. 14 s. 2009. CHED CMO No. 14 shall take effect starting school year 2009-2010, fifteen (15) days after its publication in the official gazette or in a newspaper of national circulation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 26 comments… read them below or add one }

Jocel June 7, 2009 at 6:17 pm

hi good day… where can i download cmo no.14 s. 2009? we’re having difficulty finalizing our resource unit and i really need a copy of that cmo badly… hope you can help me… thanx…

Anna Katharina June 7, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Hello Jocel! Just click the word CMO 14 (green letters) from my blog and you will be able o download it.
Thanks for visiting the site.

joey March 2, 2010 at 10:03 pm

hi mam. im a graduating student laguna. where can i download CMO 5, s. 2008? hope you can help me. thanks…

Anna Katharina March 4, 2010 at 9:19 pm

@Joey: try to visit the CHED website.

jen May 25, 2010 at 6:32 pm

hi ms. anna! i just found out about this today when i accompanied my son to enroll in our school. we’re both nursing students but we stopped, wasn’t able to enroll for 2nd semester of 2007 because I had an accident and problem with our finances. my son has no problem bout it since he now shifted to mass communication. it was a terrible one for me though coz i already finished all my minor subjects and only have NCM 102 to 105 left to graduate. but when i inquired about it to our registrar, they told me that if i don’t enroll my NCM 102 this june then i will be included in the new curriculum and will take all new subjects there even the minor subjects added! i wasn’t ready to enroll this sem, we can only afford to send my son to college and as for myself, i was planning to go back by next schoolyear 2011-2012 after saving for it first. but with this dilemma, it seems that my dream and passion to become a nurse will not come true anymore unless i’ll join the new curriculum but that’s just so crazy! i was happy to think i’m almost there with just 4 NCMs left but now… =( is there a way for me to just continue what i’ve started but not this june yet? is there any consideration for my situation? hope you can help me find some answers to my questions. thanks so much! God bless!

Anna Katharina May 25, 2010 at 10:36 pm

@ jen: Try Arellano University Pasay branch, inquire about your case. I believe old curriculum NCM 102 will still be offered by the second semester. But you can come now to inquire and have them evaluate your case. Go for your peace of mind. Look for Mam Ortiz or Sir Manzon they are in charged of third year students. Don’t forget to bring your copy of grades. Good luck.

keneth July 28, 2010 at 4:25 pm

were having our research abt. the impact of cmo30 and 14 in clinical competencies hope you can able to help us tnx

sara July 31, 2010 at 10:52 am

hi mam anna! what do you think are the predicted disadvantages of this CMO 14?
looking forward for your answer and godbless!

Anna Katharina August 1, 2010 at 3:44 pm

@Sara; please read my new post about CMO # 14. Thanks for the visit.

Prof Myra D. Oruga, MPH October 2, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Hi Dra. Anna, I am teaching COPAR subject for the past 4 years and now it was not loaded to me this semester informing that I am not qualified to teach anymore becuase of this CMO 14, the effectivity of this CMO14 is for the new curriculum right? And so I can still teach COPAR for this semester right? By the way I am not a nurse however I finished Master in Public Health focusing on health promotion and education and about to finished my doctoral degree of the same discipline here at UP manila

Prof Myra D. Oruga, MPH October 2, 2010 at 9:11 pm

by the way dra. anna i also am community health development tracker

Anna Katharina October 3, 2010 at 2:54 pm

@Prof Myra: I have sent you an email regarding your query. CMO # 14 is being implemented in almost all of the nursing schools. Difference with the old CMO # 30 lies in terms of additional subjects ( phaseout of others), units, RLE hours and the nursing competencies that need to be developed in the students. Mostly the subjects are taught by using the nursing process.

Thanks for visiting my site.

dorz January 30, 2011 at 12:55 am

hi mam, thank you for your site..i am required to make a paper on the differences between the new and old curriculum, its implementations..etc…i wish you could help me, most especially on the views and opinions of the deans of the colleges of nursing in the implementation of the new curriculum..thank you in advance mam…:-)

Anna Katharina January 30, 2011 at 6:51 pm

@dorz: You have to compare CMO 30 and CMO 14 (you can download from CHED website) in terms of the subjects (content/ subject matter), number of units and lecture /RLE hours, PRC requirement of cases, nursing competencies that have to be ingrained to the students, qualifications of faculty, laboratory and library requirements. From there you can ask me again about specific questions, regarding the curriculum. thanks for visiting my site.

Alexis February 28, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Good Day Ma’am. What is the basis of a school offering Nursing Programs (BSN) specifically on the Level 4 for having Practicing Clinical Instructorship?

leonie carreon March 21, 2011 at 12:49 pm

canyou please send me a copy of the proposed amendments to article11 sanctions of cmo 14s 2009? please give me your comments and recommendation about these amendments?thank you.

Anna Katharina March 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm

@leonie: you can download CMO 14 copy at the CHED website. I am not aware of the amendments. Maybe you should browse the PNA website, or the BON website or ask the officers of the ADCPN to know more about your queries.

Anna Katharina April 1, 2011 at 9:21 pm

@leonie: the copy of the amendments to CMO 14 are at the CHED website.just check it out. Thanks.

Francis Alvin Bernardo August 15, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Hi, I’m currently working on our report about CMO 14 but I have some difficulties on finding it Mission statement, Can you please help me about this? I’m gladly appreciate it. Thank You!!! God Bless

Anna Katharina August 15, 2011 at 11:44 pm

@ francis alvin: don’t forget to include the CMO # 14 amendments , just read through and you will find the rationale of the memo.

Algin February 12, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Hi, I am looking for a research studies or any articles related to effectiveness of cmo 30 for the past 5 years…Do you have any of those?or where could i find it?.thanks..a big help

Anna Katharina February 14, 2012 at 7:21 pm

@algin: you can try your school’s library specially if your school offers masters of nursing . I am sure this topic has been the subject matter of those taking their MAN for their thesis.

jm February 21, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Good day ma’am,

I would like to ask if there is an existing provision in separation of the Laboratory/ RLE grade and that of the Lecture grade for final grading. I read the whole CMO 14 but there is none. or do you know any nursing body, such as BON or ADPCN, that has the said provision? thank you ma’am for your time reading my letter. Hoping for your response. God bless you and your family.=D,

Anna Katharina February 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm

@jm: grading system is based on your school’s policy. Your dean and school registrar are the persons to address such query.

grace June 20, 2012 at 1:19 pm

i am having dificulties in comparing cmo14 to cmo30, can you please help me find the summury of each?

Anna Katharina June 23, 2012 at 11:06 pm